Wednesday, January 04, 2006

tons o' fun (literally)

Sorry so late in the day, but we didn't have a second to spare today. We had to wake Mali up this morning at 6:30am, she had been sleeping for 12 hrs & we needed to get to breakfast. She did ok with me waking her up, but began to cry when I took her clothes off. She doesn't like to be naked at all. But, she smelled like puke from the night before & really needed to be clean. She was definitely scared of the tub at first. She did stop crying after a few minutes. She was mystified at having water dumped on her & watching it move around. I'm sure it'll only take a few more times for her to love it.

Down to breakfast - she eats very well. She sat in her own little baby seat & ate nearly everything we offered her (she didn't like the watermelon & wasn't crazy about the raisins). She was still pretty quiet, didn't reach out to pull anything down off the table or anything. We took some cheerios & crackers to go & headed out to the lobby to meet our group. Up until now, she didn't want me to put her down . . . she'd cry. But she got brave this morning & allowed it. It wasn't long after that we found out she walks, and runs. She even took the doorman's finger & walked him around for a bit. She kept pulling us towards the ouside doors. She absolutely LOVES outside. She doesn't say much - just an occassional grunt or scream.

We left the lobby & had to endure about 4 hours of appointments, interviews, & paperwork. It was tough. Mali is heavy & she isn't really used to being toted around. She is so curious about everything, and wants to be down exploring (the ground & floors aren't the cleanest here, outside there's lots of spit). Even when being held, she's like a worm . . . constant wiggling, arching her back, swinging her head around, leaning, & she loves to kick her feet. She also kept trying to pick up random bits of trash & paper from the floor & head towards the stairs or outside doors. Most of the other babies were just hanging out, sitting on laps, looking around - Mali would have none of that.

By the time the appointmens finally ended, I was beat. My arms were rubbery from struggling with her all morning. She fell asleep on the way back to the hotel & I put her into her crib. I decided to rest for a few minutes & woke up an hour & a half later, with her staring at me from the crib (& watching TV). She is fascinated by the TV.

An hour later, we were off to the department store to buy supplies (diapers, etc). The cab ride was nuts. White knuckle grips as this guy wove thorugh traffic, nearly missing people, bikers, & other cars. No seat belts, no car seats. Hold on & close your eyes. My mom almost passed out, some of the babies were puking by the time we got to the store. It was brutal. My arms & back were already killing me. The Maya wrap would work well if I could lug her weight around in it. Mali wasn't real comfortable hanging out on my hip & began to get fussy. At that point I was afraid of dropping her b/c my arms were wobbling. I had to keep switching off with my Mom, who was lugging our big ole bag of junk (which was nearly as heavy). It was too much. I broke down & did something I swore I'd never do in China. I bought a stroller. It was worth every penny. We could've rented one in town, but I figured we'd need it for the airport coming home. Mali loves it. She watches the floor go by, chews on the arm rest, & can freely swing & kick her feet. She was less fussy, and so were my Mom & I. We were also able to tie all our baggage on the handles. What a relief. I'm starting to regain the feeling in my arms now.

We got back from the store, cleaned up a little & then headed to a restaurant within our hotel (White Swan). I have no idea what the name of the place was, but they had good pizza. Mali & some of the other girls dined on rice & congee. They all eat really well.

Next was a quick run across the street to Jennifer's to buy some shoes for Mali. She enjoyed kicking the footrest on the stroller with them b/c it made noise. The shoes squeak when she walks, they're cute. I threw the socks she had on today away, they were too gross for words. She finally fell asleep at about 8:30. She cried a bit, but not for too long.

Here are a few pics. Not many today as we could not lug the camera around with all we were carrying. Don't be fooled by her expression, she really does like the stroller.



Lots more smiles today, we'll try to catch one tmrw. Bathtub pictures on the way as well - promise!! (none today b/c she was scared & crying).

Bao'an SWI (orphanage) visit tmrw. Hopefully they'll let us take pics.

8 Comments:

Blogger Johnny said...

This is sooooo good. I am so happy for you and your new daughter!!!!

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watch out......we had the only baby in our group that wouldnt sit still for anything! Two years later and shes still the same in a good way. Mali is so adorable i just want to squeeze her. I love watching your site and hearing your updates. Post as many pictures as possible.

Kimberly Evans

11:13 AM  
Blogger Ed and Lisa said...

Hi Mommy! Looks like things are settling down for you guys a bit. Can't wait to see more pictures! Mali looks great!! :)

Lisa :)

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the pic in front of the TV. Sounds like your VERY busy-exciting though...

Jen T.

3:42 PM  
Anonymous michelle said...

just you wait until your princess refuses to sit in the stroller and you still take it just to carry the bags :-). Even now, I take the double stroller alot with just Michael with me just for the storage :-).

Please keep us updated... but I have an idea that you might be swamped or tired.. but clearly happy!!! :-)

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stories, she sounds like so much fun! She has a great little personality!!
Write and send pics when you can. I love to come home from work and read them !
Love, Coleen

4:17 PM  
Blogger Stephanie V said...

Now I'm getting greedy. I've officially checked in at least 10 times today. It's not like you've got anything going on! I just can't help myself. That sweet face! And Mali's so cute too!

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Amy said...

Your daughter is BEAUTIFUL! Congratulations! Don't feel bad about the stroller. My daughter (just got home in December) was 25 pounds. TAKE YOUR STROLLER WITH YOU TO THE AIRPORT!!!! We bought one and left it there and suffered horribly for it. Take care and Congrats!!!

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home