Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Gotcha !!!!!

** What a day **
Bunch of pics here as promised. We were at the Civil Affairs office for several hours this afternoon.
We went up to the 5th floor, and stood outside the elevators & waited (I'm not sure why) before we went into our little room. As we were standing there, Grammy was videotaping & 2 Nanny's walked by carrying 3 babies. On of them was Mali. I was (almost) sure . . . I almost lost it right there. I could tell by the look on my mother's face that she thought the same thing.

Outside the elevators waiting & feeling like I needed to vomit (little anxious)

They bring in Mali!! She came right to me - no tears (well not from her anyway). Pictured are two Nannies (black jackets) & our guide Connie (pink shirt). Mali was dressed in all pink - all 3 layers.


Very serious, not sure what she's pointing at . . .

Cheerios!! We had to keep em coming or she grunted and lunged at the bag =)

Mali, myself & two of her Bao'an nannies/staff members. The woman on the left spoke very good English & was quick to make sure I knew what things to be attentive to (like the baby's temperature). I then removed her jacket as she was dripping sweat.

More Cheerios.

Big belly!

We made it back to the hotel & Mali was exhausted. She fought sleep the whole way home. We kept her awake long enough for Dr. Jerry to visit & check her over. She got an A+! She weighs 22 lbs, and has a slight cough. She really only cried when we took her clothes off & Dr Jerry was poking around. She totally was not in the mood for the exam. She wouldn't take her bottle at all, but he said that's all good for today. While she was crying, she vomited several times. My superhero reflexes caught the first load in one of her stacking cups. After that, it wasn't so easy. There was puke on Grammy's bed, in Mali's bed and all over me. Most of it was loads of green snot (sorry!), the rest was oranges (she must've eaten them on the way over b/c we didn't give em to her). I suppose it was just a combination of her being so tired & having such a long, emotional day. Mali's sleeping now, very soundly in her crib. She has a cute way of kicking her leg up into the air when she sleeps. Grammie just reminded me that her personality report from the orphanage said she enjoys 'kicking her crab.' Now I get it . . .they must've meant 'crib.'

This is it for today - gotta go shower. I'm exhausted, sticky (well a little crusty now), and I probably stink . . . but it feels wonderful =)

Crashed out.

** GOTCHA pics taken by our wonderful group pediatrician - Dr. Jerry from Alaska!! ** (Thanks Uncle Jerry!!)

39 Comments:

Blogger Shannon S said...

WOW!! She is a cutie!! Dreams are coming true for both of you. =)

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are no words! Sitting in front of the pc crying my eyes out. :)
Well, it's nice to know that you're "stinky" to Mali too - I just knew she and I had a little connection :)!!!
Can I call her Vomit Face?

Ok, that was fun, now come home!

Love from the kids!
Mary (Cleo)

7:36 AM  
Anonymous hisgirlre said...

She is so beautiful! Congrats on your Gotcha Day! I have been reading your post for months now and I know you faced several pot holes so it is really nice to see you finally reach your presious daughter!

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alison, she is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Jen T

8:04 AM  
Blogger Army Brat said...

She is just too adorable. I know you went thru a lot to get her but isn't she so worth it? :) I can't wait til my turn!!! Thanks for sharing pic and looking forward to seeing more!

Daniela
(Another single mommy waiting for Gotcha day!)

8:06 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Congrats Mom!!!

8:18 AM  
Blogger pinkbubbles said...

YAY! She's a cutie! :) Congrats! :)

8:54 AM  
Blogger Johnny said...

Excellent, excellent, excellent! Congrats! YOU'VE MADE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Ford & Alyson said...

Congratulations on having your daughter Mali!! I hope the rest of your trip is smooth sailing. Enjoy and try to sleep! We look forward to our gotcha day too.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Congratulations!!! She is so beautiful and you two make a great family <3 I'm so glad things went well. Sorry you had to get "baptised" so soon, hehe. I hope you are all 3 feeling good after some sleep and have a quiet trip home!

10:27 AM  
Blogger Dani said...

I can't believe how cute she is!!!! Looks like her Auntie. Bout as big as Brian and Quinn...she'll fit right in.

p.s. Your gonna have to start lifting some weights to carry her to the car!

Love Ya Dani

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Michael said...

Great to see Mali with you! One of the best things about having a child is falling asleep in your arms....

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Beverly Moore said...

Congratulations! Motherhood is wonderful green snot and all!! I brought Glenys home this past Aug and am single mom too. Enjoy your journey. Hope things go much smoother than your traveling there. Mali is precious and you and Grammy look very happy, tired, anxious, and glowing.

Beverly Moore
DD Glenys
Wuzhou SWI

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Meta Meulenbelt said...

Hello! Congratulations on gotcha day! I see you have the same guide as we did last march, Connie, say hello to her from us, will you?

Regards,
Meta Meulenbelt the Netherlands, mom to Shen Hua Yue (boy) from Shenzhen

11:12 AM  
Blogger Ed and Lisa said...

Congrats on your big day!! How exciting is this??!!!

Sounds like your "gotcha moment" was the pleasant experience we are all hoping for!

Enjoy you daughter!!! Glad to hear you finally made it there!

Lisa :)

11:24 AM  
Blogger -M said...

Oh my gosh, she's a DOLL!!! I'm so so happy for you both! :)

Maryann

11:41 AM  
Blogger Stephanie V said...

She's so beautiful! Congratulations Mom. I can't wait to hear all about it.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

She is gorgeous! Many congrats to you!

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Shelba said...

Congratulations!! She is gorgeous! I couldn't help but cry at the sight of the two of you together. What a wonderful day!

12:42 PM  
Blogger Eliza2006 said...

Congrats! She's beautiful!!!

Tiffany

1:32 PM  
Blogger Stacey Teague said...

Adorable!! What a cute little girl! I'm really enjoying following your blog while you are in China!

(I should get my referral tomorrow).

Stacey

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is so sweet. We are so excited for you. Have fun! Can't wait to meet her!
Love, Coleen

3:37 PM  
Blogger Jennifer "Jenny" said...

SOOOO Happy for you both! I have been following your blog for a while and was so glad to see you reach the light at the end of the tunnel! ENJOY!!!

3:38 PM  
Blogger Jennifer "Jenny" said...

I am soooo happy for you both!! DREAMS REALLY DO COME TRUE! ENJOY :D

3:42 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Oh My Gosh!!!!! She's precious! Congratulations! She looks like a Shenzhen Baby!

Donna
Mom to Gwen of Shenzhen!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

I am so happy for you on this joyous day. She is so beautiful!!!

Love,
Missy

4:04 PM  
Blogger Lauri said...

She is absolutely beautiful. Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations!!!

6:41 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

She is adorable. I checked your blog earlier but can't see the pictures at school. Hope all is going well.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Tamara said...

I couldn't wait to get home today to see your wonderful gotcha day pictures! Thank you so much for sharing this special moment! She is beautiful.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Stephe said...

WOW! Amazing! So, do you keep pinching yourself to make sure your not dreaming??? I am so happy for you and Mali is just Beautiful! Enjoy every minute of your trip and your new life with Mali. Love your blog - thanks for sharing with all of us waiting parents!

Stephe
www.GiorgiaDanette.blogspot.com

8:19 PM  
Blogger Shana said...

She's BEAUTIFUL! Congratulations!!!!!

8:21 PM  
Blogger Stephe said...

WOW! Amazing! Do you keep pinching yourself to make sure your not dreaming?? Mali is just beautiful. Enjoy your time and China and your new life with Mali. Thanks for sharing your journey with us!
Stephe
www.GiorgiaDanette.Blogspot.com

8:26 PM  
Blogger Stephe said...

sorry I keep sending email. just realized they had to be approved first! OOps.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

She's beautiful and you look and sound elated! Congrats Ali!

8:37 PM  
Blogger Kat and Bec said...

We are so happy for you! Congrats!! She is beautiful and you look so happy together! More pics! : )
Love ya'
Kathryn

8:53 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

oh my she is beautiful. Congratulations momma! What a way to be initiated into motherhood, with a layer of snotty barf. Oh, well. She is absolutely precious and I am very happy for you both!
Congrats!
Jenny
www.sophiashope.com

8:54 PM  
Blogger Kat and Bec said...

Congrats! We are so happy for you! Welcome to motherhood! Wait until she poops on you! : ) It's all good though. You two look so happy together.
Love,
Kathryn

8:55 PM  
Blogger Karyn said...

Came here from Jon's site and wanted to say congrats!

My 4 year old daughter saw the pictures of Mali and said, "What a beautiful baby, I just wish I could kiss her all over."

Congrats again!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Anna H. said...

Came here via Emma Bug, where we saw your beautiful daughter and that ecstatic grin of yours...

Congratulations!

Best wishes for your new life!

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home